Between the Lines

Random reflections from the youth in a juvenile correctional facility.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Somethin's Cookin'!

For this week's topic, I wanted to choose something that would have a powerful connection, but give the kids a break from the introspection I've been putting them through. As always, my students and I look forward to your comments.

Since smell is one of our most powerful memories, I decided to go with food. I asked 5 questions:
1. What is your favorite food?
2. What does the food smell like?
3. How does the food taste? Is it served hot or cold?
4. Is this an ethnic food? A food served by mom or dad or a family member? A party food?
5. Thinking about 1-4, describe in words a photo or image of people eating their favorite food.

Spanish food is my favorite. My mom makes it all the time. She teaches me how to cook it. It smells real good like fresh food. Every time I smell it it smells like home sweet home and my country Puerto Rico. The food tastes really good if it is served hot. It is served by my mom and my other family. I can see myself eating Spanish food, feeling happy, with a lot of energy and then, when I'm done, lay back and take a nap. SP
*****
My favorite food is Maryland crabs mmmm……. It smells like Old Bay Seasoning. It tastes very inviting and fresh. It's served broiled with newspapers and a hammer. Yes, this is a Baltimore thing. They were probably caught an hour before they hit your mouth. This is a delicacy. I picture everyone sitting around a table with a layer of taped newspaper and a huge pile of blue and red crabs, shells everywhere and a little boy torturing his sister with the dead crab. Then he mistakes a lung for a piece of meet and his sister calls it karma. MS
*****
The reason I like pizza and chicken is because with pizza the cheese just melts and the crust tastes mad good. I like chicken also cause the meat attracts to me and chicken is so juicy. Sometimes the food is good and it is always hot when I'm getting ready to eat. The chicken is usually served by my mom and the pizza is always at the pizza shop. Pizza and chicken are always party food, no matter what. That's why I like pizza and chicken as my favorite food. DJ
*****
My favorite food is yellow rice. It smells delicious. It tastes great. It is served hot on a plate. Yes, it is an ethnic food. My dad and mom make it, but mostly my dad makes it almost every time. When I picture eating my favorite food, they are all at a table eating their favorite food, talking and having a good time and are being polite. AV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home