Between the Lines

Random reflections from the youth in a juvenile correctional facility.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More Traveling on the Road Not Taken....

This relates to me because if I took different roads I would not be in the position I’m in and I would make better decisions in my lifetime. I am going to choose roads that no one else drives on so it’s fresh and no trouble lays upon me. AG

I can relate to the poem because I have made some bad choices and if I would have gone down a different road, then maybe I would not be here now. BP

How the poet’s choices to mine are that he made two choices. One could have been good, the other bad, but his choices were good. The difference is mine were bad choices. We always have more than one choice. The choices I will make in the future are gonna be better than the ones in the past. DR

This poem relates to me because I made a lot of positive and negative decisions in my life. But the only right thing to do is learn from your mistakes to make your life better and easier. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us (Emerson). That means what happened in the past stays in the past and what happens in the future is the future. The past you learned from. JH

I’ve made decisions like staying in school and deciding whether I want to get a GED or my diploma. They both take work and effort, but lead to different options. I decided on my diploma. The reason was it shows I went through every school year and didn’t take the easy way out. I will be able to be accepted in more than one college or there are more colleges that accept a diploma than a GED. I’ve already made choices according to the lifestyle I want to live. MP

This poem is related to me because in life you have choices and I chose to go on the wrong road which was not good for my future. But there is a turn around sign here at this road so now this is where I turn around and go back out and pick the other road which is a better life to live. JR

The poem relates to my choices cause I didn’t choose the path this is not hardly used. In my future I hope I will find the path. I will think of my victims and consequences before I choose any paths. MM

It does in a way cause if I would of followed the right road in the first place I wouldn’t be where I am at today. But, now that I know the right road, I will follow it and have success. CS

Well, it means to me that you too can strive in your life as well as don’t be a follower, be a leader. I got locked up for making the wrong choices and Loysville is a second chance to redeem myself and make it through life and take it to the future. TM

This relates to me because the things that I have done in the past were wrong. And it relates to me because I could change. Sometimes in life I do something wrong and I run away from my problems. And that is how the story is so that is how that story relates to me. What you do wrong in the past will effect your future. EP

It relates to me because the choices I make now will effect me in the future so I need to make a change now so my choices in the future can be positive and I can be successful in life. That’s how it relates to me. BW
I feel this relates to my choices because at some times I make bad choices that slow down my life and make me turn different ways and keep me from seeing and doing other things. I feel this also relates to my future choices because the experiences I went through lead me now to better choices so I don’t keep ending up in a place away from home. It may be hard but anything can be done if you put your mind to doing it. DG

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from California!

It is so powerful to read what you wrote about the poem - thank you all for sharing. Many of you talk about the choice between good and bad paths, and how you are focused on following a good path for your future.

One idea that I wanted to share is that while our choices do limit our possibilities, they also can create new opportunities for us as well. The choices that give us the chance to find happiness and meaning are the ones that allow us to explore the best of who we are. Sometimes that wonderful piece of ourselves is hard to see (like the end of the paths in the woods), but that piece is there, without a doubt.

Your friend on the west coast,
Rushton

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful blog! The class topics, and responses are very thoughtful, and thought provoking!

I am the principal at the juvenile detention center in Lincoln, Nebraska, sometimes I fill in for teachers when they are absent.

Would it be ok if I were to show this blog to some of our students, and leave some of their comments, or responses to your topics in the comments?

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from a correctional educator.

I teach at a prison for adult men, but I do not want to share specific information about where we are located.
I gave a small group of my students, all adult men incarcerated at the institution where I teach, an assignment to respond to your posts. I asked them to respond to a specific person (identified by your initials).
Their responses are coded with AO (for adult offender), their intitials and their age.

These are the responses:

CS,
I have read your response to the poem and I’m not sure how to answer, but, I don’t really think there is a right or wrong road to travel. I believe that the path we choose is the right path for each of us, as an individual, and the choices we make along that path is what makes it right or wrong. It would be nice if it were possible to look ahead and see the path before we choose, but, that is not a reality we have available for our benefit. What we do have is the ability to learn from our mistakes and move forward on our journey knowing that we don’t have to make those mistakes again. Live and learn but try not to regret life. AOPL45

MP
I read your response to the poem “The Road Not Taken”. I think that you have started making good decisions that definitely play a major role in the future. I also can relate to the poem in similar ways. I was a person that didn’t really have a difficult life but at one point and time I made my life difficult by making wrong decisions. I had to learn how to not involve myself with people that do not have similar goals as myself, or do not make an effort to stop walking the other road. When I read the poem, the message that I received is before making the choice of which road to take, he first analyzed both of his options. Therefore basing this poem to life sometimes before making impulsive choices you have to think about the future outcome and the people your decisions affect.
AOGLB23

SS
I read your response that you gave on the poem “The Road Not Taken”, and I agree with you completely. I, too, was forced with that choice of hustling, or leading a straight productive life. But at that time, hustling was the road that I followed. It led me to a place where I didn’t want to be. Today, I understand the life that I chose and I’m cool with it because by being locked up, I see the other road is still there and is waiting to be explored.
AOJA26

SS
I read your response to “The Road Not Taken” and I understand what you’re going through. I, too, could’ve been involved in sports when I was younger and was pretty good. My people weren’t involved in the lifestyle I chose to live; I wanted to have all the material things and get all the girls. I chose to hustle instead of waiting and staying in school. The path I chose led me in and out of jail my whole life, too. Now that I’m older, I wish I could’ve chose a different road and done things differently. You’re still young and still have a chance to do something positive with your life. You’re right about your past helping you make a better future but its up to you to use what you’ve learned and not go backwards when you get out. There’ll be a lot of times when you want to give up but struggling only makes you stronger. You’ll see all your friends getting money the easy way when you’re doing the right thing; working for your money. This is the road that’s “less traveled”, like you said. It’s real easy to sell drugs and be a “thug” but you know where that’ll lead you, believe me there’s a lot of people in jail for trying to be a hustler; crying about wanting to go home to their family but, you can’t be a family person and a hustler, too. It takes a strong person to do the right thing and stay home with their family. So, no matter what your friends call you for doing the right thing, it’s cooler being a square at home taking care of your family then being a thug locked up, depending on your family to take care of you or even worse: your family abandoning you. I pretty much got the same thing out of the poem as you did. You sound like you know what you want and you’re all ready headed in the right direction. I just hope you stay on the right road.
AOGF28

4:30 PM  
Blogger BJB said...

Thank you so much, Rushton for your encouraging words...our world is expanding! Randy, my students and I look forward to the comments your students will make! Adult Educator, thank you for sharing the insights of your adult students...I hope my students will value their comments as much as I do!

And to everyone that responds, please suggest topics that may engage all of our learners.

BJB

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home