Between the Lines

Random reflections from the youth in a juvenile correctional facility.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Read Across America-My Many Colored Days

I do this lesson in observation of Read Across America on March 2, to recognize Dr. Seuss, and to demonstrate the power of the element of color in our world.


SUBJECT: The Element of Color / My Many Colored Days


OBJECTIVES: The student will learn that colors can be used by each individual in a unique way to express his feelings and emotions.

SET: Ask students to generate a list of what they know about color. Then tell them that “today I am feeling ‘blue’ (or green or yellow or purple, etc.) Can anyone tell me in another way how I might be feeling? How else has color entered our language? (sing the blues, acting ‘yellow’, turn beet red, green with envy) How are colors important in everyday things? (gang colors, sports teams, uniforms, etc.)

STATE OBJECTIVES: Colors can be used to express feelings. When your are expressing feelings what are you doing? (This is one of the forms of COMMUNICATION.) Each person uses colors in his own way to communicate his feelings. You each see colors in your own special way.

ACTIVITIES:
1. Read My Many Colored Days, by Dr. Seuss
2. Make a student generated list of feelings associated with the colors used in the book.
3. Show the video Notes Alive!, narrated by Holly Hunter, featuring the Minnesota Orchestra. What element has been added to the story to enhance and emphasize the emotions?

For this lesson for our blog, the students chose three colors from the list of colors described in the book and wrote about their feelings about each color.

BLUE makes things come true
RED makes me feel love
PURPLE makes me feel down
JJ

YELLOW I feel hot
BLUE I feel loose.
RED I feel dead
BR

RED makes me feel like I’m loved
BLUE is whole like the moon
GRAY makes me happy
HS

RED makes me feel angry
BLACK makes me feel upset
BROWN makes me feel confused
GM

RED It makes me feel like a rose always for someone
BLUE makes things come true
BLACK It’s Black History Month so I got to get love
NL

I feel BLUE when I am upset
When I am RED I AM VERY HAPPY THAT DAY
When I use BLACK I feel depressed and all alone
GD

RED makes me feel like people love and care for me a lot
BLACK makes me angry and I am gonna flip out and not have a good day
BLUE makes me feel relaxed and I am having a good time
KL

GRAY makes me feel old
RED mad as hell
BLUE happy as ever
JN

GREEN I think of money and something exciting
RED Makes me think of angriness and disappointment
YELLOW things slow down/tired and boring
AB

YELLOW bright, happy, energetic
RED happy, embarrassed
BLUE sad, relaxed and laid back
MW

RED bruised, embarrassed, shy
PINK loveable, happy, healthy
BLUE sad, down, hurt, stressed
HG


2007/02/27

GREEN makes me feel energetic and hyper
YELLOW makes me feel weird
BLACK makes me feel evil
MP

GREEN I see money
PINK I see girls
BLACK I see home
MM

GREEN when I see this color it gets me hyped and I do without thinking
BLACK when I see black I think of death or something bad happening
BLUE when I see this I feel calm and relaxed and my day goes with the flow
ME

GREEN Fresh, relaxed and tranquil
BLUE calm, a time to think
BROWN drowsy, lazy, ready to sleep
JR

RED I feel angry
BLACK I feel bored
PINK I feel happy
AV

PINK makes me feel happy
BLACK is a real dark color. That’s when you are down and out
GREEN is for when you feel sick
PO

GREEN gets me mad and really mean
BLUE makes me feel true and real
YELLOW makes me feel happy and joyful
DD

RED is sad
BLACK is mad some time
YELLOW is joy or sometimes nice
TW

YELLOW me being happy playing ball
BLACK being depressed when someone dies in my family
BROWN me just want to sleep all day and night
TD

3/1/2007

RED happy
BLUE glad
GREEN feel good
MR

RED happy
BLACK mad
YELLOW very happy
BJ

RED is when I’m mad
BLACK is when I feel down
BLUE is when I’m thinking something good
MS

BROWN tired
RED mad
YELLOW normal
HD

1 Comments:

Blogger Marian Thacher said...

Thank you and thanks to all your students for posting these assignments. I so appreciate your ability to give these students a public voice. I do a lot of presentations on using blogs in adult education, and I always try to show this one, and to encourage people to go here and read the student work and post a comment!
Marian

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home